Chris Hackley PhD MSc BA BSc PGDip PGCE MBPsS
* Previous academic posts: University of Birmingham and Aston Business Schools, teaching marketing, and the Open University, teaching social psychology, after teaching economics and business studies in Further and Higher Education.
* Qualifications: PhD from Strathclyde University (AACSB) focused on the management of the creative development process in top advertising agencies. Other qualifications include Marketing (MSc) Business Studies (BA) Social Science (BSc) Psychology (PGDip) and PGCE.
* Teaching and Research: Advertising, consumer culture and critical marketing. I have written several new courses for the UG, PG and University of London Distance Learning programmes. I have published some 50 research papers in more than 35 different academic journals, written or contributed to 30 books and conducted more than 100 research presentations and invited talks. Since 2007 five of my PhD students have begun academic careers in the UK and abroad. Google Scholar citation software showed some 1300 citations to my published work in September 2013 with an ‘H index’ of 21, and a i10 index of 38 http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=L2lZ10AAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
* Administration: I established the Marketing Teaching and Research Group as founding Professor of Marketing at Royal Holloway, in 2004. I led the establishment of the MA Marketing at Royal Holloway as Programme Director, and previously acted as Head of the Marketing Group and Programme Director of the MSc Marketing at Birmingham University.
* Engagement and impact: I have consulted with commercial and government bodies on issues such as media regulation and health policy, and I make ad hoc contributions to trade press and news media on topics in marketing, consumer cultural policy, and higher education policy. I have written two impact case studies based on my research for the school toward REF 2014.
A 2012 TV interview on alcohol policy (Channel 4 News) http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid601325122001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEabvr4~,Wtd2HT-p_Vh4qBcIZDrvZlvNCU8nxccG&bclid=0&bctid=1377514537001
I discussed intoxication on BBC Radio 4 'Thinking Allowed', broadcast on December 26th 2012, and based on a recent paper from an ESRC study: details here http://www.chris-hackley.com/2012/12/intoxicating-pleasure-why-people-love.html podcast here http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ta/all
2007 BBC Breakfast interview on anti-drinking advertising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvpyoFiHBDo
2008 BBC Radio 4 discussion on product placement
My academia.edu website has had more than 10,000 paper views since 2011 http://royalholloway.academia.edu/ChrisHackley
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Research output: Working paper
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter